Hey, did you know that basketball is my favorite sport? Did you know that I play basketball all the time and that I’m really awesome at it? Did you know that I daydream about being able to dunk? It’s okay if you didn’t, maybe you just didn’t know, and that’s okay. I’m here to tell you what’s up, so this is what’s up: I really enjoy basketball and I’m an avid follower of the New Orleans Hornets. Here’s your guide to this blog post:
Bold = Basketball fact about me
Italics = A notable basketball memory
Plain Text = Season recap
- I got an adjustable basketball goal for my birthday when I was 13 and I hosted dunk contests and always tried really hard to win. My specialty was pulling the rim down with my left hand and dunking with my right.
- When the Rockets won the 1994 title I was in Houston on some weird religion mission trip that was disguised as a party field trip. I was a huge Magic fan (see: Shaquille O’Neal). Double disappointment to the max, bro.
- This was a season of firsts. I’ve never gotten to follow a pair of rookies who were way better than anyone thought they’d be. I never got to see the last game of the season, home opener, or season opener. I never watched an entire game even though the ending was ruined by the new #1 Spoiler, Twitter.
- With Pistol Pete Maravich’s son guarding me, I tied a recreational league championship game at the buzzer with a bone crushing three pointer. We were 15 but so what.
- A long time ago New Orleans was really close to getting the Timberwolves from Minneapolis. So close that the Times Picayune printed “Got ‘Em” over a jersey on their front page. I tacked that paper to my wall and watched it poetically yellow.
- I’m stoked about next year with the new ownership and all these expiring contracts and a new coach and (hopefully) healthy players. I’ve been to the Fan Promised Land now with the Saints and I’m eager to see how the city will react to an NBA title.
- I did yard work for anyone who would let me so I could afford replica jerseys. I proudly owned: Kevin Garnett (Timberwolves), Shaquille O’Neal (Magic and Lakers), Latrell Sprewell (Warriors) and Alonzo Mourning (Charlotte Hornets). I wasn’t allowed to get Shawn Kemp or Larry Johnson because my best friends Deshaun and Mike had those.
- I was given an autographed Shaquille O’Neal basketball by an old man who also took me to a preseason Magic/Heat game in New Orleans and promised me I’d get to visit the locker room. My father insisted on joining us at the game and that made a lot of sense 3 years later when that old man was on the front page of the paper for molesting kids. Dad= MVP!
- Big thanks to the hardworking people who keep people like me informed and entertained. Hornets247 is my go-to source for recaps, Hornets Report is where I go to read articles or roll my eyes on the forums and Hornets Hype is where I go to party. If I had more time on my hands I’d definitely have a Hornets-focused website and I’m thankful for those that take the time to do so. More big thanks to the fans who attend games. One of these days I’ll live in New Orleans again and I’ll figure out a way to be a season ticket holder. Until then, it’s League Pass and dreamland.